- In WA, auctions are not as popular as they are in the eastern states where there is a 'cooling off' period for a standard conditional contract
- REIWA has been operating their Gift of The Gavel Championships for over ten years
- The competition will take place in September
Auction is the process of buying and selling property by offering it to bidders at a forum conducted by a licensed auctioneer.
In WA, this sale method is not as popular as it is over in the eastern states where there is a ‘cooling off’ period for a standard conditional contract.
Hence, the auction method is preferred by agents and sellers alike as the contract is generally unconditional with a deposit paid on the day of the auction.
To cultivate this sale process and to promote it further in Western Australia, REIWA has been running their Gift of The Gavel Championships for over a decade now, inviting novice and senior auctioneers to compete and win an opportunity to represent the state to the Australasian Auctioneering Championships pitting their gifts against the best of the nation.
Everyone is invited to be a spectator in this incredible competition where you can watch and learn from the state’s best grapple for the golden hammer.
Real estate agents in WA, if you are reading this, consider yourself formally invited to compete at the Gift of the Gavel – REIWA Auctioneering Championships 2022. The competition will take place on 6 September 2022, at Ambrose Estate – Wembley Golf Course. Registrations are open now and will close at 9 am on Tuesday 30 August 2022.
The winner of the senior category will also get the opportunity to:
- Test your talent against the country’s best and proudly represent WA at the 2022 Australasian Auctioneering Championships.
- Receive complimentary airfare, accommodation and entry fees to represent WA at the Australasian Championships.
In addition to the competition, the awesome team at the REIWA Auctioneering Committee led by Tom Esze is also offering training sessions in the lead up to the competition for those who want to brush up on their skills or who have never auctioned before but want to give it a try.
Training sessions will be held at REIWA – Level 1, 215 Hay Street Subiaco on:
- Tuesday 2 August – 11 to 2 pm
- Tuesday 16 August – 11 to 2 pm
- Tuesday 30 August – 11 to 2 pm
For those of you reading this who are sellers and buyers who would like to see how the competition sharpens the skills of the professionals representing your home to the market, you are welcome to attend the competition or even encourage your favourite agents to take part in it!
It is incredible to see auctions, which is arguably the most transparent sales method and one of the best indicators of the market value of a property, happening more often in our beautiful state of Western Australia.