Adelaide cbd
Small business eligible include those on six of the main streets within the Adelaide CBD. Image Canva.
  • Hutt, Hindley, Melbourne, O'Connell, Grouger and Rundle Street businesses eligible
  • Second activation package for businesses in Adelaide's CBD
  • Grant will cover up to $10,000 of costs for 80% of a project

The South Australian Government has announced a $200,000 package for small businesses along the main streets of Adelaide CBD as traditionally quieter trading months loom on the horizon.

Small businesses and property owners along Hutt, Hindley, Melbourne, O’Connell, Gouger and Rundle streets will be eligible for up to a $10,000 grants to enliven the city centre.

The grants can be used for improvements such as heating, shop frontage, painting, lighting, café blinds, outdoor furniture alongside artworks, murals and even greening elements such as green walls and window boxes. The funding will be administrated by the City of Adelaide.

More specifically, anyone who currently owns an active small business on the six streets can apply for grants of up to $10,000 to cover 80% of the cost of improvements. The recipient will need to fund the remaining 20% of costs.

The announcement represents the second part of the State Government’s activation funding – the first round resulted in $300,000 being given to dozens of CBD businesses, bringing the total to $500,000. Previous recipients are not eligible for the new round.

“These grants will help drive foot traffic to the popular strips, increasing patronage and boosting business turnover,” said Vickie Chapman, the Minister for Local Government.

“They can be used to make visual or practical improvements, as well as enhance social distancing measures – helping to keep South Australians safe and strong.”

Vickie Chapman, Minister for Local Government

Rachel Sanderson, the local Member for Adelaide, added that while suburban shopping centres performed well during the pandemic, city businesses suffered, and called on locals to visit the CBD over the winter months.

“It’s fantastic to see so many city businesses took advantage of the first round of grants updating their outdoor areas, painting murals and erecting café blinds and heaters, making our city even more vibrant and attractive as we emerge from the pandemic.

“I really urge South Australians to take a trip into the city and enjoy one of the many events we’re hosting over the coming months – from Tasting Australia to Illuminate Adelaide and the Cabaret Festival, there’s something for everyone.”

Rachel Sanderson, Member for Adelaide

You May Also Like

Cost of living dampens commercial retail property outlook

Many retail property investments likely to continue softening during 2023 according to Herron Todd White

Aventus and HomeCo Daily Needs REIT to merge

Combined portfolio worth over $4 billion

August retail sales slide 1.7%

Clothing, footwear and personal accessory the hardest hit

Top Articles

PropertyGuru Asia Property Awards (Australia) returns for its 7th edition, including several brand new award ...

This year's awards include several brand new categories, with entries closing 2 August 2024.

Housing crisis survival guide: How to buy your first Australian property

Three property experts give the low down on how to nab a home in this tough housing market.

Strata properties as investments: All you need to know about investing in a Perth unit

As the cost of renting approaches the cost of a mortgage, more people are investing in units to escape the rental trap.