Camden Council building
Camden Council building. Source – website.
  • Four long term residents are set to be honoured with parks in their name
  • The Geographical Names Board is looking for feedback on the proposed names

About 40 kilometres or so due west of Sydney in NSW, Camden Council is looking for feedback on proposed new names for four reserves, each named after long-term former residents.

Chair of the Geographical Names Board Narelle Underwood said the Board is encouraging community comment before it considers the proposals.

“It is important that place names reflect the character and history of the local area and community,” Mrs Underwood said.

“We want to make sure everyone has an opportunity to provide their feedback on the proposed names.”

Holmes Park

… will be located within the future subdivision of Emerald Hills Estate, in the suburb of Leppington.

The proposed name refers to Holmes Farm named by Henry Kable in 1810. Kable and his wife, Susannah Holmes, were first fleet convicts and held the colony’s first European marriage.

Henry was an early pioneer in shipbuilding and maritime business, operated the first stagecoach deliveries in the colony and successfully instigated the first civil lawsuit in NSW.

Ina Cameron Park

… in the suburb of Elderslie seeks to commemorate Ina Cameron, a long-term resident of the suburb who was heavily involved with the local community.

Mrs Cameron and her husband Gordon moved to Camden in 1946, where she partnered with her brother and sister-in-law in the Capitol Café, on the site now occupied by Creme Della Creme.

In 1950, Mrs Cameron and her husband opened a menswear store on the same street, which they operated for 16 years before Mr Gordon Cameron’s passing.

Henry Oliver Park

… in the suburb of Elderslie looks to remember Dr Henry Oliver, principal of Campbelltown-Camden Grammar School during the 1890s.

He moved the school to Studley Park in 1902, which was located near the site of the reserve.

Bates Reserve

… in the suburb of Elderslie commemorates Thomas Bates, a pioneer who received the earliest land grant in Elderslie in 1812.

Thomas Bates arrived in Sydney in 1791 with the NSW Corps.

Details of the proposals can be viewed and submissions lodged on the Geographical Names Board’s website. Alternatively, written submissions may be mailed to: The Secretary, Geographical Names Board, 346 Panorama Ave, Bathurst, NSW 2795.

The closing date for submissions is 7 May 2021.

You May Also Like

How Much Does A Patio Cost In 2023?

A patio can set you back anywhere between $2,000 and $20,000, though there several budget-friendly options at hand.

WA’s tip top tidy towns for 2021

Finalists in seven categories have been selected

Redlands ratepayers win against invalid canal maintenance levy

The levy was in place between 2011 and 2017

Seven garden tips to make a good impression

Better Homes and Gardens’ Charlie Albone offers advice

Experts Corner by The Property Tribune

Ko & NPA partner to launch several co-owned luxury properties at Mermaid Beach, Gold Coast

Ko's partnership with NPA Projects provides more opportunities to co-own off-the-plan holiday residences, including exclusive Gold Coast properties

Continue reading

Top Articles

Expert tips on how to be a successful property investor

Property expert and buyer's agent, Lloyd Edge, shares his insights.

Australian commercial property update: Industrial and tourism assets lead the pack in trying times

Commercial assets have faced volatility recently, driven by financing changes and demand fluctuations from institutions and funds.

WA has emerged as a property investment hub, and why that's a good thing

Eastern investors chase Perth's affordability, doubling the distance between home and investment in 2023, reveals MCG research.